Apr 3, 2009

Moving Along..

Well it's been a while since I last updated everyone on the progress of the boys and Sud. I have continued to visit the Form 4 boys a couple times a week to make sure they are doing well, studying hard, and behaving themselves. Teachers inform me it has been difficult for them to catch up on what they missed, but that they have all put in extra time and are willing and determined to do well. I have continued encouraging the boys to get extra help and to stay focused- they don't really need it as they are already self-driven, but I think it helps them along to have some positive reinforcement! They've taken to calling me their "mum" so I guess it's now my responsibility to act as a mother would!

Sud Academy is also doing well- the school closed yesterday (as did the boys school) for a holiday of a couple weeks, but the students have the option of going back for some extra lessons from their teachers, and they are eager to do so. I am working on putting together videos, pictures, speeches and information about Sud Academy and the story of the 5+1 Form 4 boys. I hope to be done within a week and will post it for viewing after it airs at a fundraising event in Canada on April 15.

Funding for Agostino, the 6th Form 4 to need help with school fees, has not yet come in. For this reason, I can't really report anything about him other than he still requires some financial help and is looking forward to continuing his education. He is very keen and often whisks by me at school to run to class, study sessions or extra lessons with teachers on their rest breaks. Anyone interested in helping is encouraged to do so! :-)

I will write again soon as things happen... for now, I am continuing with building bridges, making friends on behalf of Sud Academy, and doing research on the challenges and issues facing the students' homeland of Southern Sudan.

Happy long weekend coming up in Canada...

1 comment:

susan said...

Remember the movie, Field of Dreams Kellee....."build it and they willl come" well I just received an email and your 6th boy, Agostino, will be getting some assistance soon. Not all that he needs but it will certainly help. Keep the faith.