Dec 16, 2008

I am my teacher-mother's daughter...

Well hello friends!

So much has happened since I last wrote… I know it has been a super long time, but I have been a busy little Canadian beaver here in Nairobi.

First order of business is Sud Academy, my purpose for the next few months (and beyond!). I have started a Christmas-break mini school consisting of secondary students from Sud. There are varying numbers as some come and go, but I have met about 40 students during these sessions and teach about 30 a day. They are all boys, and all super eager to learn about grammar and computers. Many had never even turned one on until last week, so we are talking pretty basic training here folks. I feel like it is 5 years ago and I’m teaching my mom! Ha, just kidding Q. Anyways, the computer classes are going very well. We learned how to turn them on, open up MS-Word, how to enter and remove text, how to use (a fidgety) mouse, change text size and colour, and “cut, copy, paste”. Good start for only 2 classes! They love it and I nearly have to boot them out at the end of the day so I can get back home while it’s still light outside. The English classes are also productive. We did some heavy comprehension stuff yesterday that was difficult but useful. Students also wrote papers to me about their life story, mostly containing info about their journey from Sudan to Kenya and Sud Academy. Some were happy, most were sad- all very interesting and inspiring. Their unwavering and demanding desire to learn could teach us in the West a lot about opportunity, determination and appreciation of that which we have.

Many express hopes of going to Canada, the US or UK for university. Some would rather stay in Africa. What they all have in common is their adamant commitment to and concern for their homeland, Sudan. Coming to Sud Academy to receive an education has been a wonderful opportunity that most children born in Sudan will never be lucky enough to have. While rustic by Western standards and far from perfect, Sud Academy is giving the students hope for their future- hope that they will be the generation to transform their torn and bleeding country into one that harbours peace instead of terror, and breeds love instead of hate. This is the kind of sentiment they indicated, not something I am sensationalizing for effect. Many have left family behind in hopes to return with the means to support them. Some have lost all family members in the tragic civil and government-led war that has been stealing Sudanese lives for 21 long and shameful years. I have enjoyed very much talking to the students about the politics and the situation in their country. Those who know me know I get very “excited” (not the smiling kind, but the red-faced kind) when talking about international conflicts and infractions on human rights, so the firsthand accounts of how things are really happening are immeasurable, and certainly not found in your morning newspaper. It is clear that the students and I will find my time here with them mutually rewarding.

On other notes from about town, Nairobi still exists in my mind only in a limited sense. I have ventured downtown, downtown only 1 time with my new friend Aulgah. It was a lengthy process, as traffic jams here are worse than Torontonian’s and GTA commuters could ever imagine. A “jam” as Nairobi-ites call it can clog a 1 or 2 km stretch for HOURS. Think hot, crowded, noisy, polluted and bouncy bus- not my idea of a good time, so I stick to my few km radius. Everything I need is here, and I am even hooked up to the web 24/7 via a little wireless modem that attaches to my computer. I wish we had this in Canada, it’s really convenient. I did go out of the city last weekend to visit the Animal Orphanage at the National Park, and then to the Giraffe Centre down the road. I got to hold baby cheetahs, and then play in the pen with their mothers.. and I fell in love with the sloppy faced and bug eyed giraffes. They were so friendly and peaceful, it’s hard to believe they are that looming!

Monday is my favourite day, when I meet my friend Theresa for dinner and a movie- Mamma Mia last week, Eagle Eye yesterday. It’s a super good deal, and for a while, I feel like I am back home with Scotty at the Queensway- except no Yogen Fruz or Tim Horton’s chili… microwaved hot dog instead. It’s bliss J. I have also visited a couple Kenyan homes, where I am always doted on from the moment I arrive. They are really very welcoming and giving, even when they might not have much to give. Little children of the neighbourhood who don’t often see white people run around me, staring, whispering or sometimes screeching excitedly, “Muzungu! Muzungu! Muzungu!” which means foreigner in Swahili. They are so super cute, I want to steal them and bring them home.

The place I am staying is closing for the holidays, so I am debating whether or not it’s worth it to stay in a hotel for a while in Nairobi, or if I should go on a trip to Mombasa with some other NGO workers. If I have to pay to stay somewhere in Nairobi, why not pay to stay on the beach front in Mombasa for the holidays! We shall see.

So in general, friends, Nairobi and the whole experience is going well. There are many daily challenges and frustrations that one faces here-from being asked for money, jobs, water, and food to rushing home in hopes of beating sundown, to people who say they will call me back and NEVER DO!, to missing my friends and family when I settle down for the night. But my sacrifice seems a pittance compared to some of the sacrifices people here make without a second thought. At the end of my time here, I will leave and return to a place of plenty, with love and security and the guarantee of a bright future. Some people- those for whom basic things like toilet paper, clean drinking water, soap and even food are a luxury- will not be so lucky.

Til’ next time folks, I hope you are all being good little citizens of your own world!

4 comments:

susan said...

When I read your text that I would like your new post, I expected to see pictures of adorbale little children....imagine my reaction when I read the title!Growing up with a teacher for a mom had it's moments for you Kellee but you always listened politely to my stories...all of them. What a twist of fate it is that you are now experiencing firsthand,the blessing that it is being a teacher. This was my hope for you sweet Kellee.

Unknown said...

Hi Kellee,

While reading your mom's latest comment, it gave me Chicken Skin!...if only all teacher's were like you & your mother!

Just want to say that your mom gave me the most wonderful gift for Christmas. To think that I will be feeding a school lunch for one whole month gives me such pleasure & such a warm feeling so deep down.

Makes one wonder why we need all of this?

You take care of yourself Kellee & totally keep up your awesome good work!

Kathy said...

Hi Kellee,
My heart is with yours in Nairobi. I can so totally feel what you are feeling. You have a talent for writing that comes through loud and clear. Will you be able to meet up with Glen and Jane and the crew when they come through in a couple of weeks? Keep posting. I'm living vicariously through you right now!

Anonymous said...

Kellee,

True Heroes

True heroes go about their routine business,
of living laughing and loving.
They make sacrifices, not headlines.
They touch hearts and change lives.
They have high hopes and low profiles,
and they have the admiration of all.
I don’t have to go very far to find an everyday hero, because I have met you.

I am sure you are a hero to the many lives you have already touched on your journey in Nairobi.

You are an amazing young lady, daughter, granddaughter, sister and friend to so many…….
…..and now a teacher, giving hope to so many students.

You have become your mother’s daughter, which in itself makes you as amazing as she is. And she is amazing and breathes your every experience with all of us that miss and love you.

It is funny; your mom sent me flowers over the holidays with a note that stated that I was “One of the highlights of 2008” for her. If meeting me was one of her highlights, it goes 10 times for me as I have met so many people through your mom like you and Bill, who have become a huge part of my life. I have also been blessed to have met Jane, Greg, and her family and what an amazing family it is, although I may be a little bias when it comes to Jane’s extended family, (Jane’s mom, Kevin and his kids are wonderful). Of course I cannot forget Trisa and Joseph with the Sud Academy, Sharon Klatt, Pamela Ross, Judy Mudge, Lori Bowman and so many more!!!!!!!!

Kellee, as you stated in your Blog, on December 16th, the students and you will find your time with them mutually rewarding. I am sure that is true and all your experiences both good and bad will define the intensity of all that you will learn and it is those life lessons that will represent your greatest teacher of all. Life is definitely worth living! Live each day to the fullest!

Happy Holidays
My prayers and love are with you always.
Darlyne