Feb 14, 2009

At Long Last.... A Bright Future

[Scroll down to see pictures below!]
Well- Friday the 13th marked not a scary or spooky day for the 5 Form 4 boys here in Nairobi, but one of a secure future and a year ahead that's lookin' as good as they do! When Francis (bottom right) first came into the office to hand me a receipt for the last payment, I was taken aback by how sharp and "smart", as they say here in Kenya, he was looking. I exclaimed, "Ah, look at you in your uniform, you look so smart Francis!", perhaps to his embarassment and the principal's amusement. "Their trousers have been tailored and now they are all set in their uniforms" he informed me. Perfect I said- now on to the learning.

I arrived on Friday to pay the remaining fees- Term 2 tuitions, national exam fees, and holiday tuition fees. It was lunch time, which consisted of shredded cabbage and carrots, boiled with corriander, and a potato-like corn meal they call "ugali". It didn't look overly yummy to me, but the boys were beaming and seemed pleased with the big portions senior boys are given. Abraham hadn't eaten and was anxious to get to his food- they tell me they don't have any pocket money for breakfast, so by the time lunch comes, they are ravenous! While all official fees and costs have been paid (with a small amount of money left over), there will remain a few costs that they will incur over the year. There are some more contributions that have been made this week, so I will use those funds to buy things like powder soap for their shirts (they have 3 white shirts, but wear them six days a week in the most dusty and dirty place you can imagine!), black dress shoes from the market, backpacks for those who carry books in a grocery bag, and 1 student who needs transport fees as he walks over 10kms to school each morning and is punished sometimes for being late. They still use corporal punishment in Kenya, so I think bus fare is a must for him!

When I got the tab settled with the Head Master, we headed out to take some photos! On the way we laughed and joked about their studies, and I met their Math teacher on the way out. He told me he had sat down with them and worked out a way for them to catch up in the work they missed and he said that they were great boys who were disciplined and willing to do the work. I thanked the teacher, Mr. Nyankundi (I THINK!) and told him to make sure the boys were doing everything they could to be successful. At the entrance gate, we met their Religion teacher who looked concerned that they were leaving just as lunch was ending. I assured him they'd be back to class soon and he said "Ok, Ok... you know these boys are great boys?" I said "Yes, of course I know they are!" And he thanked me for them and told me they would be fine.

Each boy demanded his own picture with me, and told me that upon returning to Canada, I must send them the prints for them to keep. They gave me the school's mailing address and I promised to send them pictures and even well-wishes in the mail, which they said will help motivate them around exam time in the winter. Here is just a couple that we took! (Note that the security guard wasn't exactly suave with the positioning and getting the school's name in the photos.... but you get the idea.) Thanks to all who helped- these are your faithful students!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seeing those five guys in school uniforms is one of the most moving and exciting pictures I have ever seen.
That is so great, they're getting in there. Congrats on all your hard work and great spirit Kellee. You are inspiring others -like me!

Trisa has been in touch and sent me a link to your blog. Drop me a line on fbook. would love to know how you are doing. And pass on the biggest of hello's to those guys.